Pleasure to meet you!
Hello, my name is Sabino and I'm an italian photographer based in Luxembourg.
Let me introduce myself and guide you through my photography world.
"Photography is my way to live the world and to express myself. It's not a job, neither a hobby, but simply and truly life. My own life and that of others that I love to observe, describe and tell."
where everything has started...
Born in 1977 in Mola di Bari, kissed by the sun and caressed by the sea of southern Italy, in the beautiful region of Puglia, I’m an independent photographer, graduated at the Istituto Europeo di Design in Milan in 2005.
In 2007 I moved to Luxembourg where my experience has quickly grown thanks to a multi cultural environment.
In 2014 I attended two masterclasses at Magnum Photo in Paris, the temple of photography, with Larry Towell and Jerome Sessini.
In 2018 I've had the great chance to participate in a Portraits masterclass at Leica Akademy in Milan, with the well known photographer Bruce Gilden.
These experiences were the best things have ever happened in my life as a photographer!
Apart from photograph, I 'm a happy father of a cute little girl and lucky husband of a wonderful woman.
Why do I love portraits?
is not just about photography
I love portraits because it is a more intimate kind of photography that allows you to get in touch with the deepest soul of the subject.
Whether in the office, at home or on the street, I try to stop time and capture that moment of intimacy in which the subject tells himself through a look, a gesture, a position of the body.
My little big successes...
AWARDS AND HIGHLIGHTS
- 2015 – Humanity Photo AWARDS – Category Festivities – PERFORMANCE award
- 2014 – FIOF AWARDS – Category Reportage – BRONZE award
- 2014 – FIOF AWARDS – Category Story – BRONZE award
- 2014 – Rainbow Challenge Rijen –PSA Honourable mention in 7th
- 2014 – Image Salon Delft – I.S.F. Honourable mention in 9th
- 2013 – National Geographic Best of Travel 365 – My photo included in this worldwide selection.
- 2013 – Personal Live Exhibition in Luxembourg – 3rd to 20th of July- Portraits
- 2013 – Personal Live Exhibition in Amsterdam 1st to 31 of May – Portraits
- 2012 – Award – Heartbeat of nature – Zingst – Winner Finalist
- 2011 – Award: Leica Talent Italia, 24×36 – Selected in the 240 finalists on 24000 participant
- 2011 – IPA Award – One Shot: The City – 3 Honorable Mentions
Did you know that...
curious facts about me
- How long have you been shooting?
Around 20 years.
- Do you use digital or film?
- What digital camera do you use?
In the past I've used Canon and Fujifilm, today I use a Leica SL, Leica Q and the Sony A7RIII
- Do you stage or digitally manipulate your photographs?
No, I never stage my photos as I like to describe and capture what is happening in front of me. About manipulation, I only do some modifications on colour balance, saturation, and sharpness when needed, but no retouches or crops.
- Who are your photographic influences?
Scianna, Webb, Salgado, McCurry, Herwitt, Bresson
- Did you learn photography at college?
No, I’ve learned all by myself, just reading and practising.
- Do you run into any trouble taking photographs of strangers?
Not really, I always try to be polite and discrete and, anytime someone forbid me to be photographed, I say thank you anyway and walk away.
- What advice would you give to someone starting in street photography?
Never stop walking and observing everything, all the time!
Does size matters?
Let me give you some figures, just to fill the page with a nice animation and visual :-)